Friday 17 January 2014

Mango Banana Bread From Scratch

Every time I think of my mom and then think of baking, I am always reminded of her infamous banana bread. She uses the same recipe that my grandmother uses and it is always the best thing I've ever put in my mouth (besides a burger or macaroni and cheese). I have been experimenting with recipes, like I've mentioned in my last posts, and once again I did so with this one. I had purchased a ton of fruit from the grocery store and I happened to buy four humongous mangoes. I saw online that mango banana bread is quite common but all the recipes I came across, they left their mango pieces whole, where as I pureed mine. Here is my Mango Banana Bread recipe. Check it out!


*Makes: 1 loaf

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup (120g) butter
  • 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar, sifted
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 cup (240g) sour cream 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp baking soda
  • 2 1/4 cups (300g) all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups (170g) chopped fresh mangoes





Directions

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Grease loaf pan and set aside.

Step 2: In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. 



Blend in 2 eggs, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon until smooth. 



Place chopped mangoes & the mashed banana in food processor to puree them. Add the puree to the mixture.


Mix in salt, baking soda, and flour. 



Step 3: Bake for 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. *Tip: I would set timer for 30 minutes, check it with a toothpick, and then stick it back in if it's not ready, and set timer in increments of 5-10 minutes. When it is ready, let it cool completely on a wire rack, probably an hour, before taking out of the loaf tin. 



Step 4: Enjoy, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment